Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Air Filter & Heat Shield

If you are looking for the cheapest performance upgrades then you need to change the air filter. As we all know the stock air filter is very restrictive. By changing it to either drop-in or open pod air filter it will provide better air flow which helps the engine breathe more easily. More air means more horsepower. But don't expect so much gain from this mod cause it's just a minor upgrades. I am sure the next question that will be going through your mind is, which air filter is the best or which one shall I go for. Came across this website quite while back, this person actually does a comparison on which air filter gives you better performance and filtration. Refer to the link :

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/index.html

I got myself a 3" K&N Open Pod Air Filter with heat shield. Actually, I was not in favour of K&N due to the fact that I have to clean it. Plus when it gets dirty it looks rather ugly. Every air filter has it's pros and cons. As you can see from the comparison made. Well, you can't have everything.


K&N Air Filter with heat shield


Close up view


Before K&N


After K&N

I can really feel the difference after installing the K&N. First thing I noticed was the sound of the supercharger was louder. The engine felt more responsive. I am happy as far as performance is concern.But I am not happy with the quality of the heat shield though. It's rather flimsy and they do not have the rubber to cover the edges. Lucky for me that one of my friend has that rubber piece and I DIY on my own. I also polish it as it looks dull.

Anyway, no point complaining since I had bought it. Currently, I am in the process of customizing another heat shield and it should be ready by next week. Just wait for my next posting.

Damaged:

1. K&N Air Filter with heat shield - RM 850 (Fastlane) inclusive of installation

No comments: